Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Swimming on hold!!!

Apparently I have overworked one of the muscles in my rotator cuff, the teres minor.












The physical therapist says it is not uncommon for a new swimmer. The muscle is not used a lot in daily life, but in swimming it gets used. I don't have tendinitis, it is not strained, or torn. Just tender and sore. Funny that it shows up now because I am pretty much done with full tri's for the season and was already dialing down the swimming. I noticed discomfort doing some regular activities at work and in my last swim lesson. My coach watched my stroke and thinks he sees the problem so after a month or so rest we will work on my stroke form. In the mean time I just need to give swimming a break and do some exercises to strengthen that area, and get some massage therapy. I will check back in with the physical therapist in three weeks. So it is running and cycling for now.

todays excercise: 20 mile ride on Spring Water Corridor. Nice ride, warm out, a bit of a head wind coming down along the Willamette.

I need to start logging some running miles to prepare for the Portland Tri. Which I will be doing as a relay. I will do the run part. I also have a 10 k on the 7th of September. The marathon still looms as a goal.

later

No comments: