Friday, February 1, 2008

Who am I and what is this all about.

So, it is the first day of February. You are asking yourself, "what does this guy have to say that I want to read?" Well good damn question. There will be musings, ruminations and ramblings, miscellanea, events and adventures, basically life as it comes to pass in my world.

Right now my focus is on preparing for the upcoming Triathlon season. I have yet to actually compete in one, due to the lack of effective swimming skill. But that is soon to be remedied, lessons start Monday. Should be fun and interesting. Now you are asking yourself, "why does a grown man have to take swimming lessons?", because I have never have had them. Spent loads of time in the city pool growing up in Walla Walla but no lessons and it shows. I am what they call a wind miller. I get from point A to Point B but it ain't efficient or pretty and swimming is about technique, so to lessons I will go.

Running; I have been a runner since 5th grade, mainly middle distance in track and 5 K's in Cross country. I participated in last year's Hood to Coast, an adventure I had long wanted to tackle. Running is something I have done on and off throughout my adult life. It is something I always have come back to doing. Running has provided me stress relief, time to contemplate, and ultimately it feels good. Sometimes I refer to it as my church.

Cycling; I use to bike commute when I came to Portland in 94 and recently have taken up that practice again. Started serious cycling last year due in part from a long held desire to get a bike and ride (I bought an orange Motobecane Sprint in January 07) and meeting Lindsay and all her cycling tri-athlete friends.
Good people.
Good times.









Apparently the cycling thing was a bit a natural fit for me. I logged lots of miles last year, including tagging along on the occasional TNT training rides, various group rides, Summit To Surf, and a few solo rides in the West Hills. Cycling was capped off by riding the 20th anniversary of Cycle Oregon. Cycle Oregon provided lots of miles, over 400, lots of hills, lots of beer, plenty of fun, and stunning Central Southern Oregon scenery.

















So, running... check, cycling... check, swimming...., I will get back to you on that one.


Since I had yet to acquire the necessary swimming skills, I had planned on trying a couple of Duathlons last year. Unfortunately that did not come to pass. My dog suffered an untimely bout of pneumonia which was accompanied by the obligatory large vet bill that involved pulling out the credit card and consequently putting a crimp in my race budget. Repeat after me. I love my dog... i love my dog... i love my dog. You get the picture. Besides all that training prepared me for the previously mentioned adventures I had last summer.


There he is.. Buddy, no really that is his name not just his vocation.

Good dog, good dog, Buddy.



I will let you know how the swim lessons go.


Word: engaged

No comments: