Monday, February 4, 2008

Swim Lesson

Well, first lesson down. Basic mechanics; kicking with a board, stroke mechanics as far as I can go with out breathing and repeat. Kind of funny picture I imagine, me, a tall slender athletic guy with a kick board in front of myself kicking away like I was a new little swimmer, well new is true. Did some of the exercises with flippers, damn you move fast with those. The instructor wants to bring breathing into it a little later after I get basic mechanics down. Looking forward to this experience, challenges are always good.

Cute, but not me --------->

I can't say that I am nervous about it just probably impatient. I want it to be right, right away, but I am willing to dig in, make my mistakes etc. It is just a little odd how much I have to think about all the different things my body needs to do to get it right; chin tucked keeps body horizontal, drag fingers across water as I move arm forward for next stroke, power/flick through the final part of stroke to give momentum, roll upper body sideways as you take in breath, don't kick too strong just gently power forward keeping legs afloat, blow blow blow breathe. There is a lot of mechanics to coordinate in order to create a solid efficient rhythm. Rhythm really is the key. I sat there and watched a couple of other people swim while I waited to get started with the lesson, they just have this rhythm and fluidity that is beautiful to watch. I and the instructor believe things will move quickly for me. Patience is the mantra in this current skill acquisition.

I thought I was going to have lessons Monday nights but he wants to move me to Wednesdays, which would not be my first choice since that is Tri-club cycling night, I like riding with that group. We will see what happens. I guess I will have to spin or ride on Monday nights.

After the swim lesson it was off to Tri-club meeting. Topics, were shoes and and fixing a flat. Shoes I understand. Luckily I have flatted a couple of times on rides and have had good instruction from a good friend. So, I have a good understanding of getting it done well and quickly. I good skill to know and understand. You don't want to spend time on the side of road not knowing what the hell you are doing when you could be peddling away to T2 or just taking in a good ride with good people.


Word: patience

No comments: