Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Zen of Swimming, Lessons in Life

Second swim lesson tonight. More basic mechanics, stroke form with some breathing brought in. We did some basic breathing exercises to find our individual breathing rhythm. Mine appears to be, blow blow blow blow breathe. More basic kick board exercises, need to keep the legs loose, floppy ankles, toes pointed. Worked on how to properly stroke, where and how the hand enters the water at the appropriate angle in order to efficiently drive the body forward on the stroke and not force the body up. Learned about bi-lateral breathing. Three strokes and breathe, three strokes and breathe, causing you to breathe on both sides. Things to work on; head down do not turn unless going for a breath. Rock upper body to side as I stroke forward while still keeping chin tucked and head down, look at the bottom of the pool. I like to turn my head. Stop turning head. I usually kick without thinking and probably too much. I was concentrating on all the other things so much I had stopped kicking. Damn there are a lot of things to coordinate. Short lecture on slow and smooth, create fluidity. Fast and jerky will make you sink. Slow, steady and fluid will keep you floating and you won't wear yourself out. It all needs to be relaxed and Zen.

The slow and steady part I knew would be something I would need to work on. When it comes to athletics I think fast. The distances I plan on tackling in the water are not short. This is not a sprint. Relax and breathe. Good words for everyday. We all get amped up at times and are so in the thick of it, we forget about the people and world around us. If you are going to stay afloat you have to slow down and look around, breathe and relax. Sure sometimes it is crunch time and you have to dig in, but those times should be less than more. Operating in crisis mode constantly or making things critical when they don't need to be will wear you out. The mechanics and zen of swimming is all about efficient forward movement. The mechanics and zen of life can be the same. Dig in when you have to, but reserve those times for absolute necessity. I am generally pretty chill but I get wound up, a condition I usually lament and wonder what I was so in knots about. I think this swimming thing will be good.



Word: steady

No comments: