Monday, July 21, 2008

Humbled by Short Track

Last week and again this week I raced in a Short Track Mtn. Bike race. Last week went well. I kept on top of the bike. It is fast and anaerobic, very tiring but makes you sleep. Last week was my first attempt at short track after much encouragement from a friend, I ventured out. Admittedly, I was a bit apprehensive, which is all the more reason to tackle it. Must have the endorphin rush, I think I am hooked.

Short track involves a series of laps around a a coarse involving, technical skill (mimicking single track through grass, trees and dirt piles), straight out flats, gravel, ruts, tree roots, loose dirt and moguls. Good fun.

This weeks adventure was a bit more humbling. The field was crowded, and I did not get out front very well and was hampered by those having troubles with climbing, oh well we are all beginners, the category I race in. On my second lap the bike got out from underneath me on some gravel just before a climb. I could not get clipped back in and was clogging up the course. I stepped off to let people by, raised my hands, said " I think I just need to start over" to which a spectator quickly replied "sometimes that is best" I ran the bike up the hill and got back on. I played a lot of catch up tonight; passed some people, fumbled, get passed, and work my way back up. The gravel incidence really screwed me. A few friends and acquaintances were right there for the gravel fiasco and got a good chuckle. At least I am entertaining.

No worries. I will be back next week, which is the last week of the series.



On a side note, why does every bike I ride on, make me look like a clown on a tiny bike.


Words: endorphins and clowns



No comments: