Sunday, March 30, 2008

Training

I have had a good full week of training and I am trying to find the motivation to ride today. It is a little cold out, no rain yet. Honestly sometimes I wonder what the hell I am doing. My main motivation has been how I feel after a work out. I always feel better post work out, accomplished satisfied, must be the endorphins. After a work out I am usually excited, giddy and feel like I am on target for accomplishing my goals. The running and cycling are always rewarding and I feel good about those disciplines. Swimming has me feeling humble, something I talked to Malia about the other night. She actually used the term humbling first and she was right on. The thing I really like about swimming is when I get in the water and start practicing, everything else in my life disappears because I am concentrating on what I am doing. My life is not so complicated that I need to forget everything but the focus I need for swimming just crowds everything else out. I find myself really enjoying being in the water, it is warm and easy on the body and I like the focus that comes from working on developing this new skill. When I ride or run my mind tends to wander more and I become a bit contemplative. I tend to process the things going on in my life; both situation are good and beneficial.

Swimming is testing me a bit, it is all about technique, I continue to go to practice and have generally been able to get to the pool a couple other times a week. I believe I am making progress, at least that is what I think until I go to practice and I get humbled. That is fine, it does not bring me down, just shows me I have more work to do. When I first started the swimming lessons I sometimes would leave practice a bit frustrated which would inevitably turn to motivation to go practice on my own. Most of my tri-friends tell me I will be fine, and I know I will be able to get through the swim. Don suggested when I do a race let the gun go off and let the pack of swimmers go and then follow in behind them go wide of the buoys and take my time, don't worry about that part of the race, which has been my plan all along. At this point my first race will be at the end of May. I have not registered yet because I am continuing to monitor my swimming progress. I am not afraid but I don't want to get in over my head. The challenge to get it together in time for that race keeps me going. Ultimately that is why I am training, the challenge. I committed to this and have made time in my life to take it on and I will not give into any negative messages. I am having fun, which in the end is what it is all about. Now, where is that motivation for a ride today.

Word: motivation

No comments: