Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Swimming, Running, Trainer... oh my

So, I am little giddy right now. I had swim practice tonight and spent over and hour in the water. It felt good, tiring, but good. A couple of weeks ago we were introduced to a new coach. His name is Emerson. He is an older gentlemen with a wealth of swimming training, including being a college champion swimmer. He is a great technician and is definitely a better fit for me and my swim class partner. The previous coach hired Emerson to take on some of his load and it has been a big benefit. I think some things are just starting to click for me as well. The way he explains stroke form and gives little hints has really helped me. We did a real work out tonight. Lots of kicking, stroke technique with the fins. Also did some repeats, some of them with a closed fist. That will make you kick more. I am starting to get the reach and glide down better, bilateral breathing is coming together and I don't have to think about it as much which means I can think about other techniques in swimming. Great night in the pool. I have been trying to get to the pool two or three times other than lesson night. New skills take practice. You just have keep doing it to get muscle memory working for you.

Another accomplishment this week was running the 15K in The Portland Shamrock run. Lots of people, luckily the field for the 15K is a little thinner. I hit what I believe is a milestone for me. I was shooting for a sub 7 min/mi pace and did it. I was able to do the run in 1:05. Sweet sauce. Half of the run is up hill along Terwilliger Blvd, but once you reach Barbur Blvd, just past the 5 mile marker, it is all down hill, let the legs stretch out and take you home. I broke stride briefly to flash my ass for which I was rewarded with a swig of green Pabst beer. There is a group that sets up about a quarter of a mile from the finish and hands out beer if you moon them. So I strode through their set up, dropped the back of my shorts, grabbed the cup of beer, slugged it down and kept on running. I picked up the pace as much as I could as I saw the finish come into view. Good run, good finish and I believe I left it all out on the course.

I have not been on the bike much this week except for my bike commuting. It was a run focus week due the race and I am always focusing on swimming so riding was crowded out a bit. I did have some good saddle time the previous week with a nice long ride a couple of Sundays ago also spent some time on the trainer I bought about a month or so ago. A co worker has lent be some CTS training DVD's. Mainly I have done the Time Trial DVD. Good work out. I will get in some more bike time this weekend and coming week.

Tomorrow night is track night, whoop, I love the track.



Word: progress

No comments: