Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pac Crest here I come

10:30 Thursday morning. I am packed and waiting to get out of Portland and heading to Sun River OR. In two days I will tackle a Half Ironman Triathlon at Pacific Crest, 1.2 mile swim, 58 mile bike, 13.1 mile run. I have been training since about January or February for this event. I am sitting here a little antsy, I want to get going, I am just a bit anxious. I know I am ready, this is a big test. Why am I doing this, well there are many reason and they have evolved over the winter and spring. The main reasons are, I wanted the challenge and I needed to channel some emotions in an appropriate direction. When it comes down to it this training has been good therapy.

Late last fall my life took a turn I wish had not come about and it hit me pretty hard. I had to do something. As my work schedule began to calm I found some swimming lesson that fit my schedule, programmed in some running and cycling, worked on swimming outside of my lessons and slowly built a physical base. Two weeks ago I completed an Olympic distance Tri. For A guy who just started taking swim lessons in February I am pretty pleased with myself. I swam 1500 meters and still was able to ride and run. The swim this coming Saturday will be only 500 meters further than the Olympic distance swim so I am confident.

The training allowed me to shed emotions, work through what was going on or simply forget things for a bit. I have reflected, swore, cried, dreamed, smiled, learned, processed, I believe I have grown, I am a better me. I am thankful.

Most of my running lately has been on trails either solo or with a friend. The trails provide so much solitude and beautiful scenery. I also want to get a MTN. Bike for this same reason. I just want to be on a trail somewhere taking in the sights and enjoying myself and those with me. I want to continue to be at peace, a peace that I have rediscovered from exercise, enjoying the outdoors and those around me. Work and my house projects will always be there and I will take care of that when I need to, but I want to live and be aware. Life is too short and should be shared, enjoyed and relished. Why don't you come along sometime?

When I am cycling up Mt. Bachelor on Saturday it will be with a smile on my face and the knowledge that all is well and it will only continue to be. Bachelor I am going to kick your ass, see you Saturday.

Peace

No comments: